Adventures in Brewing

Sunday, February 20, 2011

No Buts Stout

The insulated Mash Tun while doing the stout. This kept the temperature a little better because I actually pushed the sleeping bag underneath as well. I only dropped 2 degrees over the whole hour.
















Here is the boil kettle when I first fired it up and had the banjo going full.





















Here is a close up of the banjo going strong. I love this burner!















Some steam coming off the boil. The smell is absolutely wonderful.
















Chillin towards the end of the boil





















After the CFC and sitting in my messy extra bedroom after the pitch





















19FEB2011: On this one I pretty much stuck to the recipe but I got lazy and did not do a double batch sparge. I will make sure to do that next time as that may be contributing to my low O.G. I ended up with 1.054 and was hoping for 1.060. Thats not too bad though as I prefer a mid range ABV on a stout versus the high 7's and 8's. Taste was pretty good at first. Can't wait to see what it comes out like after fermentation.

23FEB2011: Just pulled a thief full out of the carboy. Gravity is now at 1.021. This puts me at about 4.4% ABV. I actually like a low ABV on a stout, but I was hoping to hit at least 5%. I'm gonna wait a few more days and see if it will drop anymore. It had some very nice roasty flavors. The oatmeal really comes through on this one. I am excited to try it cold and carbonated.

24FEB2011: Gravity is still at 1.021. Fermentation must be complete. Transfered to the keg and bottled 4 in 22oz bottles. Tastes really good. Can't wait for this one to condition.

Grain:
7 lbs 2 Row Base Malt
3 lbs Flaked Roasted Oats (I roast these myself @ 350 for about 45 minutes)
0.5 lb Crystal 30l
0.5 lb Crystal 120l
1 lb Black Patent
0.5 lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Roasted Barley

Water:
5.1 Gallons @ 163F
3.3 Gallons @ 183F

Hops: (pellets)
2 oz Cascade 6.6% @ 60
1 oz Cascade 6.6% @ 15
1 oz Cascade 6.6% @ 2

Yeast:
Safale 05 Dry Yeast

No comments:

Post a Comment