Adventures in Brewing

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Ruby Clone

This one is for Steph

Ingredients:

Grain-

11 lbs 2 Row Pale Malt

Hops-

1 oz Mt Hood @ 30
1 oz Mt Hood @ 10

Yeast-

Safale American 05

Raspberry-

Will make a raspberry puree and it into secondary

O.G. 1.041

I'm not hitting my gravities and am not sure why. I'm thinking my handheld thermometer might be off so I will try that. Or possibly I'm disturbing my grain bed too much and I'll try the pie plate technique.

24SEP2011: I forgot to update when I transferred to secondary and tertiary. I added two pints of raspberries into secondary and cold crashed in tertiary. Today I kegged it so it should be ready in a couple of days. Gravity hit 1.004 making it 4.8% ABV which is about right for this beer.

2 comments:

  1. Use 24 ounces of frozen raspberries boiled in about 1/2 gallon of water. Strain the chunks out and put the puree in your secondary bucket and then add the beer. That will turn out perfectly. I've done this one twice now and my wife wants me to make another one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We couldn't find any frozen raspberries for some reason. Steph checked like three different stores and found nothing. So we picked up a couple pints at the farmers market. The guy said they were a pound each but was totally wrong. They were way less. Anyways, I blended them up and boiled them for five minutes before adding to secondary. Steph tried it last night, not quite enough raspberry, I'll add more next time.

    ReplyDelete