Adventures in Brewing

Friday, January 3, 2014

False Bottom

As stated in a previous post, we decided to fabricate our own false bottom. Basically I just ordered a 24" x 24" stainless perforated sheet with 0.09375" holes with a 0.15625" stagger. After I climbed inside the kettle my wife placed the perforated sheet on top and I used a sharpie to trace the shape of the kettle. Then I cut out the circle with my angle grinder.

The handle and the leg supports will be made out of  0.125" x 0.75" stainless flat bar and bent into shape. I cut each support/handle at 10" and make marks where I want the bend. Placing the flat bar in my vice at the appropriate mark I hit it with a hammer until it has a 90 degree bend.

As of now I have the sheet cut into a circle, the handle shaped, and the handle attached. Hopefully this weekend I can clean up the cut a little bit, fabricate the supports, and then install the supports.

The false bottom so far. Still need the edge cleaned up and
supports installed.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment